- 1-1 ½ kg fresh Marlborough mussels
- ½ cup Uncle Joe’s Hazelnut Meal
- and/or ½ cup Uncle Joe's Hazelnut spread
- Scrub mussels and remove mussel beards by snipping with scissors.
- Bring enough water to the boil to cover the mussels, add the mussels, cover with lid, and return to the boil.
- Reduce heat and steam until shells open, about five minutes, stirring several times so the mussels are evenly cooked.
- Remove from liquid and discard any mussels that do not open.
- Place opened mussels on tray, divide saffron sauce among the mussels, sprinkle with hazelnut meal and grill for about one minute or until hazelnuts start to brown.
- Garnish with lemon slices and tarragon sprigs. Serve immediately.
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads 2 tbsp mussel cooking liquid
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp minced fresh tarragon and salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle saffron threads over mussel stock and let stand for at least 10 minutes for saffron to soften, stir well.
- Combine the liquid with mayonnaise, lemon juice and tarragon.
- Season with salt and pepper.